Telluride, Colorado is now part of the Compass Family. Telluride was founded in 1878 as "Columbia", but due to confusion with a California town of the same name, was renamed Telluride in 1887, for the gold telluride minerals found in other parts of Colorado. Super-star agents Bill Fandel And Suzanne Perkins who joined us at the end of September sent through some interesting facts about this remarkable town:
* For the 5th time in the past 6 years, the readers of Conde Nast Traveler have rated Telluride Ski Resort the #1 Ski Resort in the U.S. and Canada.....set 8,750 feet above sea level!
* Butch Cassidy robbed his first bank in Telluride.
* Telluride started out as a silver mining town and had, by the turn of the century, minted more millionaires per capita than Manhattan.
* The town of Telluride is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of Colorado's 20 National Historic Landmarks.
* The world's first alternating current power plant gave Telluride the first streetlights before any place on the planet
* 10 of the last 12 films to win the Oscar for Best Picture made their US debut at the world-renowned Telluride Film Festival including 12 Years A Slave, Moonlight, The King's Speech, Slumdog Millionaire, Birdman, Argo, The Last King of Scotland, Capote, Spotlight, etc
* At 9,078 feet above sea level, the Telluride Regional Airport is the highest commercial airport in North America accommodating commercial & private aircraft up to a G650 or Global Express in size with two 1,000-foot cliffs on either end of the runway.
* Telluride has the only free gondola public transportation system of it's kind in North America, connecting the historic town of Telluride with the resort town of Mountain Village.
* Telluride is home to Bridal Veil Falls which sits at the east end of the box canyon, Colorado's tallest free-falling waterfall at 365 feet.
* There are no chain restaurants or shops in Telluride, while the nearest stoplight is 45 miles away in Ridgway, Colorado.
* The San Juan mountains surrounding Telluride contain the highest concentration of 13 and 14 thousand foot peaks in Colorado. The dramatic and majestic peaks surrounding Telluride lead many visitors to draw comparisons to the European Alps.
* Wilson Peak, the iconic mountain that represents the beauty of Telluride and it's surrounding areas, is featured on the Coors beer bottles. Coors beer has filmed 3 commercials in Telluride.
* Alpino Vino, a European-sytle restaurant sits atop of See Forever ski run, and is the highest restaurant in North American at 11,996ft.
* The most recent US census lists a population of just 2,426 people.
Average price of a single family Telluride home from 11/25/17-11/25/18: $3,037,050 ($1,052/sf)
Average price of a Telluride condo from 11/25/17-11/25/18: $953,669 ($735/sf)
The average price of a single family Mountain Village home from 11/25/17-11/25/18: $2,671,875
The average price of a Mountain Village condo from 11/25/17-11/25/18: $1,144,693
Here are some notable Residents & Second Homeowners: Oprah Winfrey, Tom Cruise, Jerry Seinfeld, Kelly Ripa / Mark Consuelos, George Strait, Jewel, Hilary Swank, Meg Whitman, Ralph Lauren, Bobbi Brown, Dan Quayle, Dick Ebersol, Susan St James, Clint Black, Henry Samueli, John Arnold, Daryl Hanna, Neil Young, Dierks Bentley, Gus Kenworthy ...and a long stream of business leaders, CEO's and entrepreneurs...